Sunday, July 15, 2007

A weekend away.....

So I'm back home from a much needed weekend away! Although I have a ton of editing to do, Marty decided a few weeks ago to surprise me this weekend and get me away from my computer for a little bit of a break. We left on Friday with me having no clue where we were going other than we would be about an hour from home. We finally ended just west of Asheville in Candler, NC....to a secluded little cabin in the woods. It was a small cute little cabin - a group of only 4 cabins, but with enough privacy to where you felt no one else was around. Our cabin was called Pisgah Paws and is managed through Cabins of Asheville. There was no cell phone reception, no computer, no email, only us, the woods, a hot tub, and a TV - definitely a treat!!!

We spent Saturday exploring the Blue Ridge Parkway and just riding around. We stopped at Mt. Pisgah where there was a little country store and bought this book.
The book was really helpful and told you the sites to see along and just off of the Parkway. One of my favorite stops was the Graveyard Fields.
Here's the sign explaining the meaning to the name.There were 2 waterfalls there....Upper Falls - a 1.6 mile hike and Second Falls - a 0.3 mile hike. We went to the shortest one due to lack of proper clothing, shoes, and water. I took a few shots of the falls, but I didn't take my tripod with me so I really couldn't get the nice milky look I wished I could have gotten. After that we rode up to the highest point on the parkway. Our last stop was at Waterrock Knob. Here we hiked the 0.5 mile steep terrain to the very top. I was expecting a great view - but was disappointed in what we worked so hard to get to. This was one of my favorite shots taken on the way back down the mountain.I did take my camera along (as you can tell) and got to do something I haven't done in a while - taking pictures just for the enjoyment of it. I love photographing flowers and these Turk's cap lilies were in full bloom all along the parkway! I was able to get up close to one on the way up the Waterrock Knob. The rhododendron were also blooming everywhere! Although I have several shots of ones in full bloom, this one that hasn't opened up is my favorite. The pink color on it shows up really well with the buds not open yet.I don't think Marty and I have taken a picture of ourselves since we were in Hawaii on our honeymoon 4 years ago. I figured we wouldn't be able to do it with the lens I had on my camera at the time, but it worked just fine. We ended up our day in downtown historic Waynesville for dinner at Nick & Nate's. The hand tossed pizza was very good!!!!

Even though I had tons of work waiting on me back at home, it was nice to get away, even if it was just for a day or two. Trust me, I have definitely thanked my wonderful husband many times for the relaxing weekend. Unfortunately it's back to the real world - no more relaxing for me!!!

P.S. If you're wondering why it may taken me a little longer than normal to process your session and post your proofs, you can blame Marty - it's all his fault!!!! Just don't be too hard on him!!! :0)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys for coming to stay at our cabins and thanks for the plug, your photos are awesome.

Thanks again
Eric Wilson
Cabins of Asheville